Creativity Lives Here
Welcome to the PNCA Office of Residence Life. We are here to help students with their college housing needs, whether at ArtHouse within the PNCA Residence Life program or by assisting continuing students with other resources for locating accommodations within Portland.
Community Living and Learning
PNCA’s Residence Life program provides a supportive and vibrant environment that facilitates creativity and collaboration. We educate students through in-house social and academic activities, as well as events that connect students to the life, culture, and arts of Portland.
The Residence Life program includes live-in Resident Advisors (RAs) who provide ongoing programming, resource guidance, and support for community living. RAs are current PNCA students trained to cultivate a safe and healthy community for our residents.
Welcome to ArtHouse: Creativity Lives Here
Architect’s rendering of ArtHouse. Courtesy Lever Architecture / LRS Architects.
PNCA proudly houses all new freshmen and transfer students in ArtHouse. With a dedicated number of spaces for graduate students and continuing PNCA students, ArtHouse is a robust community of artists and scholars.
ArtHouse is contemporary student housing on the North Park Blocks in the arts-focused Pearl District. Designed with PNCA students in mind, ArtHouse is just a 5-minute walk from the future Arlene and Harold Schnitzer Center for Art and Design and across the street from the Museum of Contemporary Craft.
The student apartments are light-filled spaces that face the park and the city, with hallways that serve as gallery spaces for student art. Apartments are furnished and feature modern kitchen appliances and washer/dryers. The Portland Streetcar, rail lines, and bus routes are within blocks of ArtHouse, as are a variety of entertainment and dining options.
Amenities and Features of Your New Home
- Fully furnished with custom-designed furniture
- All standard utilities included
- Fiber optic Ethernet connection with dedicated wireless routers in each unit
- Full kitchen with energy-saving appliances, including dishwasher and microwave
- Washer/dryer in each unit
- Large windows allowing in natural light and views of Portland’s cityscape
- Secure building entry system
- One specially trained residence life staff member per 21 students
- Community study area
- Student art galleries on each floor
- Rain garden and surrounding leisure deck
- Secured bicycle parking
- LEED registered building with green features
- Café and ground floor retail
- Renter’s insurance policy
- Nine-month housing contract including winter break
- Optional summer housing available in 2015 (additional cost)
In and Around Your New Neighborhood: The Pearl
- Over 20 art galleries and abundant shopping and dining options
- Major bus lines, the Portland Streetcar, and the MAX Light Rail
- Union Station with Amtrak, Greyhound, and Bolt Bus service
- City car share program
- Walk Score of 98 (Walker’s Paradise) and Bike Score of 97 (Biker’s Paradise)
- Ranked #22 of 280 Portland attractions by TripAdvisor
Fall 2014 Application and Pricing
Students may apply to rent their own private room or may request to share a bedroom with another PNCA student. New students should submit the completed ArtHouse Request Form (available at right under Downloads) and deposit by May 9, 2014 for the best chance of securing their first choice room type.
Academic Year Lease: August 27, 2014 - May 31, 2015
Shared room: $8,250 ($4,125 per semester)
Private room: $12,100 ($6,050 per semester)
Screening Fee: $35 due with ArtHouse Request Form
Holding/Security Deposit: $300 due with ArtHouse Request Form
Renter’s Insurance: $124 ($62 per semester) charged to student account
Residence Life Program Fee: $150 ($75 per semester) charged to student account
Key Dates for ArtHouse Applicants
May 9: Priority deadline to submit ArtHouse Request Form with Screening Fee and Holding Deposit
June 1: Deadline to sign ArtHouse lease
August 27: Move-in Day!
Mandatory Housing Policy and Exception Request Process
New PNCA undergraduates must reside in ArtHouse for the entire first year at PNCA unless they qualify for an exemption or successfully petition for an exception. Exemptions are granted for students who are married or who are living with parents or legal guardians within 30 miles of campus. On a case-by-case basis, the College will review requests for exceptions to this policy based on extraordinary circumstances (e.g., medical issue). Students entering in Fall 2014 must submit the Residence Life Exemption Request Form by June 25, 2014 for full consideration of their request. Substantiating documentation must accompany the request form.
If you are a continuing student who would like assistance with finding off-campus housing in the Portland Metro area, our Residence Life Coordinator is available to answer questions. Get started by downloading the Off-Campus Housing Guide in the PDX Resources section to the right.
Office of Residence Life
Diana Jaramillo, Assistant Director
Pacific Northwest College of Art
33 NW Park Avenue
Portland, OR 97209
Call or Email