— David Eckard, Lead Faculty, Sculpture
PNCA’s Sculpture concentration within the Studio Arts major encourages students to work within a broad range of three-dimensional practices, exploring contemporary and traditional art-making approaches alike. The Sculpture studios provide excellent facilities, on-site technicians, prominent exhibition space and the expertise of a diverse faculty. Students individualize their production and determine their own approach as they work under the mentorship of master professionals within a collaborative studio atmosphere.
In this program, students investigate a wide spectrum of sculptural methods including standalone objects, site-specific works, multiples, installations, sculptural interventions, performance, and any number of hybrid forms of three-dimensional engagement. They broaden their artistic repertoires through exploration of a variety of approaches to art-making, through collaboration and individual practice. Presentations by visiting artists, critics, and curators support and challenge students to understand their roles as contemporary makers and thinkers.
This thesis project, by Liz Harris ‘12, is a response to the explosion and sinking of the Deepwater Horizon oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico. Photo by Kaija Cornett ‘12.
Projects & Assignments
- A full-scale hot air balloon, used as a metaphor on various levels, was one senior’s thesis project. She made every element herself, working with textiles, basket weaving, and other traditional processes.
- One student created a sculpture primarily from video equipment. Images captured in realtime on a surveillance camera were played back in an agonizingly slow fashion on the sculpture’s monitor.
- Sewing and craft-based techniques enabled another student to concentrate on making touchable pieces, such as flocked clay sculptures.
- Metal shop
- Wood shop
- Ceramics studio
- 3D Multimedia studio
- Portable foundry
- Industrial sewing facility
- Manuel Izquierdo Gallery
- Semi-private student studios in the 3D building
Call or Email